About the Journal
Communitas is a nationally-accredited academic journal publishing scientific articles in the context of Community Communication, Information Impact and related disciplines, including Corporate and Marketing Communication, Media Studies and Journalism. The journal aims to promote of a better understanding of communication-related issues which affect developing societies, including Southern African communities. Communitas is published annually by the Unit for Community Communication of the Department of Communication Science, University of the Free State.
The article must not be under consideration by other journals or have been published previously.
Communitas has a strict policy against plagiarism. It is the author’s responsibility to gain permission for copyrighted material, and to acknowledge in text any material for which copyright is not owned.
Each article must be preceded by an abstract in English (maximum 200 words) reflecting the contents of the article, including the methodology followed, in a factual and concise manner and must be suitable for separate publication and indexing.
Articles should not exceed 7500 words in total (including abstract, acknowledgements, endnotes and references). Please include an accurate word count.
Communitas makes use of a continuous publication (CP) model. Articles are published online in their final, citable form with a universal digital object identifier (DOI) as soon as the production process for that article has been completed. Articles are added in small batches to the current issue of Communitas (available under the “Current issue” tab on the website). Once an issue is closed, the next issue opens immediately. Issues are still run annually. The tables of contents are ordered by the publication date of articles. As a consequence of the continuous publication model each article starts with page 1.
Communitas is published online only - ISSN 2415-0525 (online).
Submit online at journals.ufs.ac.za (following the links to the Communitas page)
All submissions are subjected to strict selection criteria and peer review based on academic grounds.
- Communitas accepts only English manuscripts
- The author’s/authors’ name(s), title(s), post description(s) and contact details must be indicated on a separate page
- Manuscripts must be in A4 format with 2.5 cm margins
- Spacing: 1.5
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point
- Communitas uses British English
- Manuscripts must be proofread by a professional language editor before submission
- Tables, figures and illustrations should be numbered according to house style and placed in the correct place if possible. Otherwise, tables, figures and illustrations should be attached on separate pages. Authors must clearly indicate where tables, etc. must be placed in the text.
- No footnotes. If necessary, authors may make use of endnotes, but these should be limited to the minimum. Endnotes appear after the text, but before the list of references.
- No page numbers
- Use the following headline levels:
- All headlines flush left, and no numbering is used. No full stops after headlines.
- Headlines should be ten words or less.
- All references must be done according to the Harvard Method.
- Please check the following before submitting manuscripts:
- Are all the references in the reference list cited in the text?
- Do all the citations in the text appear in the reference list?
- Do the dates in the text and the reference list correspond?
- Does the spelling of authors’ names in the text and reference list correspond and do all authors have the correct initials?
Article processing charges (APC)
Article processing charges apply and are calculated at a per-page rate.