Advertisement New Editor Appointment
CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR THE JOURNAL EDITOR: TOWN AND REGIONAL PLANNING
We are seeking expressions of interest to join the Editorial Team and become the Editor of Town and Regional Planning (ISSN 1012-280), if possible, from 1 January 2020.
Criteria for applicants:
- Expertise and experience in the spatial planning domain.
- Publication record of an appropriate number of articles and/or books (including previous publication/s in the Town and Regional Planning journal).
- Being a reviewer for international peer reviewed journals.
- At least a PhD qualification and/or a senior research position with equivalent experience in research and scholarship.
- Enthusiasm to undertake the Editor role, but ensuring recognition of all aspects of the reality of the role and the work involved.
- A commitment to do the editorial work for at least ten years.
- The applicant’s host organisation must confirm its financial- and logistical support for the Journal. This will include editorial support staff.
The key role of a journal editor is to promote scholarship in spatial planning, whilst also promoting the journal as a significant journal to publish in. The editor will need to encourage new- and established authors to submit articles and ensure a reliable panel of expert reviewers. The Editor is also responsible for offering feedback to reviewers when required and ensure constructive feedback to authors.
In terms of responsibilities:
- An editor should endeavour to be a leader in the urban and regional planning-field as it will support journal development, presence and standing within the local and international community.
- Is fully responsible for the academic quality of the journal and the regular on time publication thereof.
- To improve the quality of the journal and to improve its accreditation worldwide.
- The Editor is responsible for judgement regarding which articles do not fit in with the journal or are not scientifically sound and to reject them. In this regard the Editor can consult with the Editorial Associates.
- Provide guidance to authors on improving their articles before assigning it for review.
- To identify reviewers for each article, contact them to confirm whether they will be willing to do the work. This work can also be delegated to the Editorial Associates.
- To publish this journal at least twice a year in June and in December (this is negotiable with the Editorial Board).
- As an Editor, you will liaise with the following groups of people on a regular basis: i) the publisher, ii) the authors iii) the reviewers and iv) the Editorial Board.
A Letter of reference must accompany a comprehensive academic Curriculum Vitae and be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 30 September 2019. Correspondence and enquiries may be lodged to Prof. Das Steyn (Journal Editor) and/or Prof. Ernst Drewes (Chairman: Editorial Board).
Prof Das Steyn: 051 401 2893 / SteynJJ@ufs.ac.za
Prof Ernst Drewes: 018 2992 3543 / email@example.com
Note: This is a voluntary role for which there is no remuneration. Individuals who are interested should be able to undertake the role on that basis and be able to commit time to the role on a regular basis.